Saturday 24 August 2013

FAITHFULNESS IN LITTLE




“…Little is much when God is in it
Labour not for wealth or fame;
There’s a crown and you can win it,
If you go in Jesus Name!”

            The meaning of that song which I was taught to love since my seminary days, came back to me as I think of writing this piece. But what hit me hard is this thought provoking question: do I benefit from the message of that song? No! I forget the message, I admire and love the emotional drive; but I rationalize the message, I focus on singing it for all to hear!

Faithfulness!
            It is not about being competitive or doing things as others do it, neither is it the standard laid down to be followed without initiative. It is looking at your resources, your capability, opportunities and limitations, and amassing them for highest output possible. It is not success at the standard of others, but success as you!

This is what I mean.
            I was trained as a music minister with four part harmony and arrangement in mind, with even some major musical instrument (keyboard, and trap set, and possibly conga), and with even knowledgeable people (professionals) as members of the choir. But the church I am called to serve have their own ideal music ministry; majorly, you sing your harmony as it comes to you, and the major musical instrument is Gan-gan, (hour-glass drum/ talking drum), even the trap-set must follow it in rhythm and imitation of some of its speech.
            My problem is how on earth will I be able to harness this backward, crook way of making harmony work? Should I train these very dry bones to start singing all songs in part? I tried it, and it failed wonderfully well, because at the performance I find myself conducting the instrument and trying very hard without success to get the voice to sing. I henceforth learned number one lesson as my other colleague also learned; we all want our choir that never handle any four part harmony before to sing Alleluia Chorus!

            Another thing is, how will I teach them to know what I know rather than asking them to follow me by route? Not much potential, not much time; yet weekly services does not wait! My conclusion after many frustration and sense of not working or being the right place where my gift and learning will be much more useful is, my work is not useful here, or I find other means.
             But something is telling me, that conclusion is not right! This might be a test; will you quit, or make lemonade out of this lemon? You preach about David and his worthless associates; you sing little is much, why are you now saying that this little is far too little! Why don’t you find blessedness in this? What is required is not the bigness of the choir, their level of proficiency both in voice and musical instrument; not even in classical or contemporary shout heavy metal music; not even the availability of all classes of musical instrument: guitars, in different types, saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, organ, violins etc. but what can I make out of this nothingness!

Luke 16:10-11
Whoever is faithful in very little is also faithful in much, and whoever is unrighteous in very little is also unrighteous in much.  So if you have not been faithful with the unrighteous money, who will trust you with what is genuine?
(From Holman Christian Standard Bible® Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005 by Holman Bible Publishers)
   
Luke 16:10-11
10 He who is true in a little, is true in much; he who is false in small things, is false in great.11 If, then, you have not been true in your use of the wealth of this life, who will give into your care the true wealth?
BBE
   
Luke 16:11-12
11 If you're a crook in small things,
You’ll be a crook in big things.
12 If you're not honest in small jobs,
Who will put you in charge of the store?
(From THE MESSAGE: The Bible in Contemporary Language © 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. All rights reserved.)

             You won’t be judge by how successful your choir is in N.B.C. or how famous they were, but what material do you have, and what you did with them! Just keep them improving, give them the ultimate vision… the ideal; but never look down on them for being so far away from the ideal. Remember the choral ensemble in Seminary at inception used to sing Alleluia Chorus in two parts. If you are not faithful in that good for nothing something that is committed to your hand, you don’t need bigger ones to manage. The wise book says, if you are not honest in small jobs, who will put you in charge of the store?
             “LITTLE IS MUCH” is not about bigness alone, but quality, location, attractiveness, popularity, functionality etc.

That guy may not be that handsome,
but little is much!
That pay check may not be fat,
but little is much!
The town your church or work is located may not be that rich and modern,
but little is much!
The work you are ask to do may be below your capacity and standard, 
but little is much!
The time you were given to complete what you are doing may not be much,
but little is much!
The time you have left for serving God may seem so little,
but little is much!
The seed you have in your hand may look inconspicuously unimportant,
but little is much!
Your little ideas may not be as brilliant like that of Bill Gate,
but little is much!
Your educational background may not be rich,
but little is much!

Little, little, oh little is much if we would just be FAITHFUL!

No comments: