Saturday 2 August 2014

ROMANCE: 5 SIMPLE ROMANTIC THINGS TO DO!



It’s not necessary to have trails of rose petals that lead to some fancy Italian wine to be romantic. Jack Barendse shares five ways he feels the romance in his relationship.
I’ve been with my partner now for close to two years. We are very much in love and I am a self-confessed hopeless romantic. However, my lover really isn’t.

This poses a question that I found incredibly tough to answer during the early stages of our relationship. I’ve always been a sucker for writing love notes, poetry, surprises and constantly trying to outdo every romantic gesture I’d previously made. In my relationship now… this is simply not an option.

At first, my gestures were met with nervous laughter and awkward moments that made me wonder if we were both on the same page. In previous relationships I’d been met with thanks and reciprocation. Needless to say, I was confused.

I thought maybe something was wrong, or maybe I’d done something to offend, or brought up some deep routed feelings related to romanticism. But slowly I came to realize that not all girls want what the rom-coms tell you. So here’s a little list of five things I’ve found so important to our relationship and our ways of showing we love and care for each other.

1. The Simple Cup of Tea
It doesn’t seem like much, and it’s definitely not locked to tea, but this is something that gives me a chance to show I care every day. Knowing exactly how she likes it (don’t take the bag out too early and a generous serving of honey) and just asking if she’d like a cuppa is so simple and yet so perfect. A daily way to show I care.

2. Flowers (or other small gifts of love “just because”)
Now I know this one seems a bit cheesy, a bit romantic, a bit corny, but really it’s special. Being able to take a bunch of flowers home that I know she’ll love can’t be beaten. Knowing there’ll be a smile on her face when I walk through the door with a bunch of flowers “just because” makes my day.



3. Making Time For Each Other
This is something I’ve found especially important recently. My partner studies law and works 30 hours a week. I work full-time and we both find ourselves busy on the weekends. Just putting aside a couple hours to sit together or go out for a coffee is an opportunity to slow down and give our time and energy to each other.

4. Talking and Listening
And leading on from number 3 is talking and listening. It doesn’t have to be about our relationship, but it’s such an amazing way to connect. Connecting in this way regarding how we feel about refugees or what flavour ice cream we prefer (she’s all about vanilla) is perhaps the most unromantic romantic thing a couple can give to each other. It may not seem much, but at the end of the day I fall deeper in love the more I know about her.

5. Dreaming Together
Finally, we are constantly dreaming together. Living overseas, traveling the world, buying our own house, maybe getting married and having a family. It doesn’t matter how big or small the dream is, knowing that we’re on the same page couldn’t make me feel safer or more in love.

These may all be fairly specific points that relate to my relationship but I think it’s important to look at the bigger picture. It’s the little things in a relationship that make it special. It’s knowing what she loves; it’s knowing her dreams and her goals and supporting her; it’s being there for her.

Listen to your partner. Love your partner unconditionally. You don’t have to try too hard to show your love. It’s the little things. It’ll always be the little things.
 



Your views are most welcome...

No comments: